Friday, September 10, 2010

Surrounding yourself with the best...

Isn't it amazing how we learn by example? Think back to the first time you attempted to complete a new task. In your mind, maybe you had a picture of a friend or loved one doing the same thing and you tried to replicate their success!

I think that I have always dreamed of writing, but about a year ago I made an active decision to pursue that desire. It took a long time for me to switch my brain from reading to creating, but once I did the ideas flowed like honey.

Now, I just had to figure out how to write. What formats were used? How did one go about getting published? How did I find people willing to impart what they had learned on their own personal journey?

And, though I have a college education, I had NO personal examples to follow for becoming a successful writer! The hurdles seemed insurmountable. I thought, how in the world do you embark upon such a monumental task?

Well, I decided to do some research and was amazed at the wealth of knowledge available to aspiring writers like myself.

The most important thing I have learned since beginning my journey to publication is you must surround yourself with people who are successful at their trade and gather tools and examples you can use to build your own work.

I did some online research and found a local chapter of Romance Writers of America. This group meets monthly and is full of a wide range of authors from prepublished to multipublished. At each meeting they offer craft development training. I still giggle when I think back to one of my first meetings and a guest author was talking about the difference between showing and telling. I thought she was talking about something entirely different! Thank goodness I didn't say anything!

If you are unable to meet with a group, there are hundreds of online classes devoted to the craft of writing. These resources, albeit not free, are excellent sources for individualized learning. I have been able to tailor classes to suit my current needs.

And of course, there are books! I am a voracious reader and have read romance books for years. But only a few books remain on my keeper shelf! These authors did something special that really struck a cord with me. The setting was phenomenal. The characters could have been family. The plot was heartwrenchingly sweet. These are things I wanted to replicate in my own stories.

The point is...with the right tools and support you can achieve your dreams! Do the research and surround yourself with the best!

Nessa, thinking I'm seriously lucky to have such wonderful local chapter and online group to call home!


No comments:

Post a Comment